Saturday, October 10, 2015

Unstoppable


From creating indie published comics to drawing International comics, there’s no stopping artist Heubert Khan Michael in showcasing his talent for a long time.

What started out as a simple hobby became more than just doodling while killing some time. For most artists, confidence grows once you get a feel of your work getting better, strokes more loose and art style evolving. Then the thought of drawing comics for a living lingers but there’s one problem, people close to you aren’t buying that idea.
For Heubert Khan Michael however, he went through that certain phase when waiting for the right time pursue his dreams was benefitial rather than jump the gun and risk failing miserably. It was pretty much the right move for him. 

The dream would into fruition when he decided to post his works on Deviantart. Then the rest was history, quite literally.
Eccentric Flair: When was your first Indie Comic Book “Unstoppable” published? How did you get into doing a gig with DC Comics?
Heubert Khan Michael: That was like 2007 when I first came out with my very first indie comic book yung Unstoppable. So nag debut siya sa Komikon nung 2007 sa UP Bahay ng Alumni. Yung book ko na yung took me 2 years to make kasi back then I was still employed as a full-time Guidance Counsellor sa isang school sa Makati.
So yung pagko comics talaga has always been a hobby and a passion for me. I’ve always wanted to do it professionally. But then unfortunately, I was one of those artists whose parents were a bit against the idea of me pursuing it professionally. But then, siguro it comes with age. Since they thought I was old enough to make decisions, they allowed me.
So I started while working as a Counsellor I made Unstoppable. Then after that, someone asked me to post my works sa Deviantart. And someone saw my works sa Deviantart and then I was given work nga by DC.
So I was told before that there were talent scouts  for Marvel, DC and other comic book publishers in the states na lurkers sa deviantart. So at first, parang I found it hard to believe. But then when I got the message myself, I would go, “Wow! It’s true.”
And it’s no scam kasi I was very much familiar with the guy that messaged me sa Facebook. We talked and then he was the one who gave me my first gig sa DC. So that was my very first professional gig.
But then it took 2 years din. Since 2007 my first book, yung indie comic ko came out. 2008 I decided to go full time; I resigned from my day job. And then 2009, I got my work from DC – my first work ever. And then in 2010, I got signed up by Dynamite under an exclusive contract and it lasted for almost 3 years. Then after that 2014 until now I’m with Top Cow.
Eccentric Flair: What was the first title you did for DC?
Heubert Khan Michael: That was for DC Holiday Special. It’s a one shot. DC used to have this one-shot special every Christmas season. So they usually have that come out every December of the year. I think they already have that discontinued. But then that was for the year 2009. It was actually lucky job for me because someone backed out for the gig. So they were in need of a fill-in artist and I was available. So they asked me and I said “Yes, of course. Why would I turn it down?”
That was the first gig that opened a lot of opportunities for me abroad. It might be a fill in but it opened a lot of opportunities. So I may not have been the first choice for the job but then being the artist who took over for that gig, certainly opened a lot of opportunities din. Because I was able to tell other publishers nga that I’ve already worked for DC. That’s something else.
Eccentric Flair: What was your first major title after that one-shot with DC?
Heubert Khan Michael: I had this short stint muna as a character designer for several books, movies and web comics. I was one of the first designers for Mortal Instruments. The YA book that they turned into a Hollywood film. I still haven’t seen the film. I’m not sure my designs were even used.

But yeah, I was asked to do some designs for the lead characters. After that I took some small internet web comic gigs – daily web comics. Then around early 2010, I was noticed by Dynamite Entertainment. They asked me that they were looking for an artist who can draw a dark-ish, batman-ish book – that happened to be The Owl for Project Super Powers, which is art directed by Alex Ross.

So they offered me that gig. I said, “I’m going to be working with Alex Ross? So, why would I say no too that again?”
And then after that, I was offered a regular gig for Vampirella.
Eccentric Flair: I’ve noticed your art is somewhat dark and gritty. Has that been your style ever since?
Heubert Khan Michael: I tried to experiment. Honestly, I’m still searching for something that I would be really most comfortable in, a style that I would really tell myself that I’m really happy with. I’m still in the process of evolving. SO sometimes I would draw Dark and Gritty – depending on the character. ‘Cause I would want to try to look for a suitable style that would fit the character the most. So it depends on who I’m drawing.
My artwork for my Indie comic “Unstoppable” was rather cartoony. I’ve always seen “Unstoppable” while I was trying to, still conceptualizing the whole idea of the book, I was looking at it as if it’s an animated film. So that’s why when I drew Unstoppable, was very much cartoony compared to what I’m doing now.
So when I drew Vampirella, I tried to study the works of the very popular Vampirella artists before me, like Jose Gonzalez – the Spanish artist who became very popular drawing Vampirella back in the 60’s and 70’s. So his style for Vampirella was rather dark yet still sexy. I tried to emulate that when I was working for the title.
For Project Super Powers: The Owl, The Owl is actually a contemporary of Batman. It just so happened that he did not become as popular as Batman. So I tried to do the pages as if I’m drawing Batman.
Eccentric Flair: So the inspiration for Unstoppable was animation, right?
Heubert Khan Michael: Yeah! Actually, a lot of people asked me if I was actually copying “Invincible” of Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley. Actually my inspiration for Unstoppable came after seeing The Incredibles. So I thought “Oh I could actually do a comic book like this.”
Eccentric Flair: How’s your experience here at APCC so far?
Heubert Khan Michael: I’m really flattered to be given a spot in the Artists’ Alley. I actually made a post promoting the show because I think it’s really nice of Universal Events to bring this massive scale of Comic Convention here in the Philippines. ‘Cause you know, for some people, they are saying, reacting that 500 pesos a day is too much.

But then I’m saying it’s actually cheap compared to having to spend a lot of money just for the airfare and the tickets just to get the same kind of experience of a comic con going to as far as San Diego and New York and even as near as Singapore. So it’s actually very nice that they had this. And I’m really glad to be part of the very first (sic) and I’m really honored to be given a free table for Artists’ Alley.
Eccentric Flair: Do you think drawing professionally for international comic publishers has been a dream come true for you?
Heubert Khan Michael: Yeah. I’m really happy with every gig and opportunity that I get for work. No matter how big or small, it’s really a part of my history as a comic book artist. So, I’m really thankful for everything that comes my way. Doesn’t matter if it’s a big project or a small one, for me it’s a part of what makes me a better comic book artist.
Eccentric Flair: Any advice for aspiring comic artists who want to break into the international comics industry?
Heubert Khan Michael: Always be open-minded. Apart from practicing, practice won’t do you any good if you’re not open to change. If you keep practicing, if you keep drawing everyday but you’re drawing the same stuff because you’re not open to change, you’re not open to suggestions. If you’re not open to that, no matter how much you draw every day, you won’t improve.
Keep in mind that you have to grow, you have to experiment. You have to accept change. You have to see what would make you do better.
People would always tell you to practice every day but for me, practice is not enough. You have to be open minded. You have to challenge yourself. You have to keep pushing yourself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment