Saturday, October 10, 2015

A Vision of Awesomeness


In Mid-September, the Philippines experienced its first ever high profile event dedicated to Pop Culture Fandom known as Asia Pop Comic Convention Manila 2015. The list of guests for the show featured International Comic Artists, Famous Cosplayers, Internet Icons and a few Hollywood Celebrities. But one name simply stood out from the rest of them: Paul Bettany.

Sure, Furious 7 and Game of Thrones star Nathalie Emmanuel graced the event – so did Colton Haynes from the Teen Wolf TV Series. Clearly, Bettany was on a different level altogether.
His presence alone inside the World Trade Center in Manila was indeed special.

On a cloudy Saturday of September 19, fans lined up to catch a glimpse of the APCC exclusive viewing of Marvel Studio’s Captain America: Civil War official trailer. Of course, they all lined up to see Paul Bettany share his thoughts about his role as Vision in the next Captain America flick.
During his panel with the fans, he opened up candidly of how he was enjoying his visit in the country. “My experience in Manila has been my hotel room and this room and the helicopter,” Bettany said with a smile. He genuinely appreciated the love he got from Filipino fans.
He also spared some time to answer some questions from the Philippine Press the following day.
Loose Atmosphere
Since his role as the voice of JARVIS – and now as Vision – in the Iron Man and Avengers movies, the cast have pretty much jelled well in the Age of Ultron and Civil War set. Bettany simply enjoyed the work environment. He didn’t hold back in letting the whole world know that his co-stars were getting really good money for it.
“We all get on. They are all really bunch of nice boys and girls. They’re all happy to be to there, being terribly well-paid so they should be happy to be there. Work’s really creative and fun,” he revealed.
As for his working relationship with Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans, they’re getting along quite nicely. Everything that’s happening there was just laid back.
“We have a lot more fun. There are more improvised junks with me and [Robert] Downey, me and Chris Evans – it was a really loose atmosphere on the set. It was a really loose set. It was great,” Bettany added.
“I Should Do SIRI!”
Paul Bettany mentioned during his panel how much he enjoys meeting fans especially when he’s walking down the street. He’s such a big name in Hollywood now; fans who bump into would literally ask him to do the voice of JARVIS and have it recorded on their smart phones.

At first, he was fine doing it but as word got out, the demand got massive he had to decline their requests. However, he’d do it again, unless of course, Apple decides to replace SIRI with Bettany’s voice as JARVIS.
“I can’t tell you the number of times people stopped me to ask me to do their cell phone outgoing message,” said Bettany with a chuckle. “Initially, I started doing it. But when the demand gained so great I couldn’t do it anymore down the street. People stopping me to do JARVIS – I should do SIRI! We should start a petition!”
Omnipotent and Naive
We all know how Tony Stark’s AI Assistant JARVIS became Vision in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Paul Bettany definitely enjoyed playing the character. Like in the comics, Vision is a very eccentric yet intriguing personality among the Avengers. Bettany was clearly fascinated by the character’s unpredictable behavior of sorts; he didn’t have any problems portraying the role of Vision.
“I was reading comics. I was also looking to think about what could be edifying for me to learn. You see my character to get born – unlikely to ever happen to me as an actor again,” explained Bettany. “And for him to be both omnipotent and yet totally naive at the same time, experiencing the world in real time in his place in it – whether he was a force for good or a force for evil. It was interesting and fun to play with because he’s dangerous – you don’t know where he’s gonna go one way or another. I’m continuing that theme in Captain America 3.”


His Daughter is In Love with Iron Man
Bettany is a certified family man. Married to Actress Jennifer Connelly and blessed with two children. His family are well aware that he played a Superhero named Vision but there’s one problem though, his youngest daughter isn’t exactly a fan of his character.
“My 4 year old daughter is in love with Robert Downey Jr,” Bettany said with laughter while shaking his head.
“I was trying to get her to send a video message that said “I love the Vision more than you” and send it to him. Instead I had to send him one that said “I love you, I love you and I love you more than my Daddy!” It was a very bad and dark moment for me.”
Blur Fan
It’s no surprise that Hollywood Celebrities are adorned by fans. But when these Celebrities become fans, it’s a different story. They also understand what it is to be a fan as well. They got Idols or Heroes they look up to growing up. But when a guy like Paul Bettany says his hero is Blur frontman Damon Albarn, he’s definitely being serious.
“I’m a huge Blur fan,” he confessed. “I mean I can’t think of an actor that I haven’t met. But I’ve had the opportunity to meet Damon Albarn twice and I’ve always said no because I’m too nervous to meet him – he’s such a hero.”
Doing the Voice of JARVIS
Providing a voice to a character like JARVIS in Iron Man and Avengers was a unique fulfilling role for Paul Bettany. Just a couple of hours to do some voice over work and he instantly gets paid handsomely.
“I would literally be brought in, in the last two hours to speak a little bit of dialogue. Do it a couple of ways and then they give me a huge bag of cash,” he said. “Then I would go “Really, for this?” And then, they would go, “Yeah, that’s your cash.”
“I would pick it up and leave like a thief. And now I have to actually work for my money.”
Under Wraps for Two Years
During the filming of Avengers: Age of Ultron a couple of years ago, rumors were already spreading around cyberspace that Paul Bettany would be playing Vision for the Avengers sequel at the time. Of course, the folks from Marvel Studios would deny that little information back then. Marvel was very much careful keeping Bettany from the public eye; he literally had to wear a cloak where ever he went.
“I travelled anywhere I was in a cloak. I was enough so that you couldn’t see me,” Bettany stressed.
Not only that, he told his family to keep that “little” secret and not tell anyone about it for two years. Otherwise, he won’t be able to buy his daughters Christmas presents should the information leak.
“I told them I have to keep a secret for a very long time. I think we kept a secret for 2 years. I let them know that I would get fired if they told anybody and I would not buy them any Christmas presents.”

Rejuvenated Career
It’s interesting to some at how Bettany got the role of JARVIS but for the role of Vision, it was a life changing career move. Sitting on a sidewalk on Sunset Boulevard after being told by a producer at the time that his career was over, a phone call from Joss Whedon was just what he needed. And the rest was all history.
“My phone rang and I answered my phone and I said: “Hello?” It’s Joss Whedon.”
“And Joss Whedon said: “Do you wanna be a Superhero in the next Avengers movie?” I said: “Yes!”   
And that’s a true story.”
The Rebirth of Paul Bettany
That faithful day on Sunset Boulevard clearly changed his life. Much like JARVIS who later on became Vision, his life, his profession was reborn. Perhaps fans have to thank Director Joss Whedon for giving Bettany a second chance, for bringing Vision to life in the silver screen.
For Paul Bettany though, it’s a reminder of how and why everything happens for a reason. It reminds him how to never give up in life just because someone told him his career was over. That’s why he’s awesome.
“Life is curly; you never know what’s around the corner. I try to remember that whenever I feel down.”
“Life is Curly.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment